Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
35 million.

35 million Americans are unable to feed themselves or their families so they are on food stamps.

My goodness.

MOST of us faced some sort of economic issue in our lives, or even in the last 12 months. Some situations minor, others major. But just imagine not being able to buy basic food for your family. Not just the hunger, but the pride factor.

Out will come the partisan arrows. It's the Welfare mentality. It's the rich people. It's the Republicans screwing the poor. IMO, when 35 million Americans need $295 per month from the gov't to buy FOOD, this is a massive failure of our culture, and BOTH our major parties.

As a Center-Righter, I certainly feel that the victim/dependence mentality has been peddled too much by the Left. I also feel that the more we deviate from the traditional family unit, the more prone people are to poverty. But then there's my guys on the Right. We'll whine about things like food stamps, yet be passive over corporate giveaways. We'll tout the idea of Norman Rockwell's middle class America, yet we're happy to tell manufacturing workers the beauty of free trade. "Biff, here's a tax credit. Go get retrained and take on the Chinese and Mexicans yourself".

Furthermore I resent those on the Right, AND in the Democratic Party who see any scintilla of FAIR trade as "protectionism". We were happy to send 4000 guys to die in Iraq to "protect" our white butts (brown in my case), from POTENTIAL attack, but asking nations to offer us the same trade rules we offer them is "protectionist".

Americanism is MORE than consumerism. Yeah our underwear, cars, and Big Macs would cost more sometimes. We've surrendered to the Church of GDP and we've confused money with wealth. We save money in one pocket, yet pay the price via food stamps, medicare, crime, welfare, etc.

David Bonior. Dick Gephardt. Ross Perot. Pat Buchanan. Senator Infofe. Ralph Nader. I'm proud to have stood with that eclectic group against the two major parties, bought and paid for by the multinationals who fly no flag.

That, in addition to the slow demise of traditional family units is rendering more of our countrymen poor.

I have the tendency to react emotionally, I realize that. But just close your eyes right now, pretend looking down at your young child, knowing he's hungry and saying "sorry, Daddy can't help".

I'm done posting today. This irks me.

JEdi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.