Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
It's certainly sizzling today...up 18% as I write due to their announcement of their ability to produce commercial levels of its 2G HTS wires.

Here's a link to the announcement:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060725/20060725005221.html?.v=1

I've owned AMSC longer than any other stock, and I understand it the least of all my holdings. I bought back in 2000 with savings from my first few paychecks out of undergrad. I bought two portions in the 20's because I thought that AMSC's products made sense in the face of the first round of California brown outs (during which Enron manipulated prices, remember?). The stock immediately went up to nearly $70 per share in the first few months - I thought I was brilliant. Now I know better.

Since then, I've wondered what to do with AMSC. It moves around so much that I should probably try trading it (it's in my IRA, so no tax consequences). I really don't have any clue as to how close this company is to becoming profitable, and have held onto it even though I'm down big. Again, since it's in an IRA, there's no tax benefits of selling and my holdings only amount to a few hundred dollars. I look at my holding almost as a lottery ticket - not the best use of my money, but there's a long shot for great upside.

Any insight on today's announcements would be much appreciated. -Tom W.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.