Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I got an email from Mercury this morning directing me to the site http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/vehicles/marauder/default.asp

Read the text,
think about it,
ME FIRST!

SB
Print the post Back To Top
The 2003 Marauder even goes one step further with a lowered front end and high rear to provide an authentic muscle car rake.

=======================================================================

As if it needed more weight on the front wheels. With a dinky little 4.6 liter engine, the only way they could break the wheels loose was to jack up the rear end. Weight-transfer at its Detroit-est.

Me, I'll wait for the 8.1 liter Tahoe.
UncleLee

RE: "Me, I'll wait for the 8.1 liter Tahoe"

UncleLee, aka

GrampsLee

heh heh heh
No. of Recommendations: 2
Bottom line for me is that it's too heavy to really be any fun to drive. It's just Ford's police car with back eye liner. The only amusement I can see is going 55 in the right lane and seeing who DOESN'T pass you, thinking you're the law.

5Speed
RE: "The only amusement I can see"

Well I hardly ever drive for "amusement", so if that's the case I definately won't get one.

THANX SB
Bottom line for me is that it's too heavy to really be any fun to drive. It's just Ford's police car with back eye liner. The only amusement I can see is going 55 in the right lane and seeing who DOESN'T pass you, thinking you're the law.

Grandad can already do that in the plain-clothes Crown Vic and/or Caprice. (er, Impala... <giggle>) Put too much chrome on and most everyone knows you're cruisin' to the 5pm Early-Bird special.

As for Mercury's text and my manhood... I drive a 96 VW Jetta with little more than fresh tires to make it go fast. My girlfriend will testify how much horsepower I "need" to impress anyone else. Ahem.

- Sco
I've never been a muscle car guy. Give me a well balanced, nimble, moderate horsepower car anyday. At least they're trying another approach.

For me, American car companies just don't get it. Pontiac tries to sell their "excitement". Hmmm, FWD with no option for a stick, I can hardly contain my excitement. What would you do with the keys to a Pontiac for a week? Park it in the garage!

I take delivery on a new BMW 325i in a couple days. People ask why I don't buy an American car. After having our first child, I never got to drive my Miata. I want a RWD, 4 door sedan with a manual transmission. To my knowledge, there aren't any American made cars that fit this simple criteria. Only a handful of cars fit two of my three criteria.

Again, American car companies just don't get it. They're too busy trying to cram $40k SUV's down our throat in the name of profits to concentrate on a truly fun to drive sedan.

-Murray
RE: "American car companies just don't get it"

I can see where you might tend to think so, but remember that car companies are in business to sell lots of cars, not just to please enthusiasts.

For "real driving" I'll take a Subaru WRX. But how much will I really be able to use it? I can promise you, I'll have a little smile (for old times sake) every time I get into the Marauder, and when I'm flaming down a dirt road (that you'd probably be afraid to drive a nice clean BMW on) with the sun roof opened and the stereo cranked, I'll be having lots of FUN!

Yes, a Mercury musclecar is 2002 is silly. So is a Cadillac (or Lincoln or Porsche) SUV. A Plymouth "hot rod" or the proposed Cad Vette? 4 door 6 passenger V10 4 wheel drive pickups?

Cars are social satire. Who "don't get it"?

PS: Lincoln makes the RWD 4dr sedan LS V6 with a 5spd

To each, their own.
ME FIRST

Be my guest. You couldn't pay me to own one of those things. Way too damn big and it doesn't come in a convertable! :)
RE: "You couldn't pay me to own one of those things"

Okay; and I was just about to make a nice offer too!

RE: "it doesn't come in a convertable"

April Automobile mag p.17
im thinking a marauder for my next demo