Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Greetings folks.

For those who have read and found value in Hewitt Heiserman's excellent book, I have generated a new file that hopefully makes things easier.

I personally think the combination of BMW and IETC is a very powerful and effective set of techniques to find companies that will provide outsized returns.

See here: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25670730
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks, Sand. Also, thanks for pointing me toward IETC. Heiserman's post on the IETC board...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25091388&recscode=2&sort=recommendations

...in which he provides a portfolio management model based on a maximization of expected returns versus downside risk is very similar to the port management model I proposed a couple of months back on this board.

John
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, Sand105

I downloaded the spreadsheet, and made sure I had the add-ins. I did the find & replace thing in the instructions.

So......... 1. Where do I put in the ticker of the stock I want to track?

2. How do I start the macro(s)?

Thanks, Steve
1. Where do I put in the ticker of the stock I want to track?

Cell E8 of the Overview page.

2. How do I start the macro(s)?

No need to start any macros for the function of the spreadsheet. It is automagic. ;-)

The macro buttons at the top are to save and such when you have made corrections. It will also increment the year and quarter when you have stuff saved and the automagic part increments without you. The clear button clears all the saved information (including footnotes, if I remember right).
Works like a charm!, Thanks, Sand
Hi Sand... great work.... Im trying to run it, but for some reason it just take too much time to update data, is this normal?
Hi Sand... great work.... Im trying to run it, but for some reason it just take too much time to update data, is this normal?

On my laptop it took 35 seconds to load. The sheet itself isn't really processor intensive (the downloading is the bottleneck), so if it is taking inordinately long to load I would expect that it is due to connection issues or AdvFn website issues more than anything else.
On my laptop it took 35 seconds to load. The sheet itself isn't really processor intensive (the downloading is the bottleneck), so if it is taking inordinately long to load I would expect that it is due to connection issues or AdvFn website issues more than anything else.

The add-in is slow with the AdvFn website -- it has multiple web pages to retrieve AND it is a lot of data to parse. And it doesn't help that the AdvFN website is slower than most to begin with.

You can speed up the initial loading of the workbook by saving it with a ticker symbol of "None" or just leaving the cell blank. When the RCHGetElementNumber() function sees "None" or nothing as a ticker symbol, it just returns the "Error" value without attempting to retrieve data from a web page.

Randy,

Thanks for the note. I'll remember the "None" choice in case it is needed and distribute that way.

AdvFn is the only site that has this level of information, though. It doesn't really take all that long to get things in, considering the number of cells it is filling. My BMW sheet takes just about as long and is much more computation intensive (not even close).

The 35 seconds is a whole lot better than typing in 10 years worth of Income, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements. ;-)

Take care.
Hi !

Link is down.

By any chance would you have the spreadsheet ?

Thanks
Link is down.

By any chance would you have the spreadsheet ?

Not sure the spreadsheet would do you much good. I found these in my old backups, from 2007 and 2008:

IETC3_2_2-template.xls
IETC-auto-v1.2.xls
IETC-auto-v1.1.xls

They use my SMF add-in, which wouldn't be of much help 14 years later, when all of the data sources have changed so much.

For example, the AdvFN site I mention in an earlier message in this thread, no longer has free historical data for financial statements and ratios.