Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Its hard enough even when you are over there standing at the counter with cash in your hand.
I suggest asking your US broker to give you the web address/email of their recommended local bank.
The forms you get will ask for Social Security No and Tax File No. I just put all zero's in until the IRS sent me the latter. Not having a SSN will flummox them for a while but they finally accepted I didnt have one and entered all zeros.
Their forms have trouble with 4-digit post codes and unknown 'States', and they take a bit of training to get the address right, regular mail takes 2 weeks each way by the way.
Telegraphic transfers are the fast way but cost around $20 per remittance, many of the smaller banks do not have internet banking. I bank with a small bank in the middle of Colorado, if you would like details/address let me know.
Ponsonby
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.