Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
It's laughable that a financially distressed company such as the Motley Fool (or were all those hundreds of Fool employee layoffs a misprint in the Wall Street Journal?) is recommending that specific stocks be shorted

I'm sure Jeff will reply too, but statements like that irritate me to no end. What does the financial condition of the Fool have to do with what they choose to buy or short?

No where that I could find does the Fool RECOMMEND shorting a specific stock.

why don't you help your readers/listeners identify these winners

What makes you think they aren't? I've seen far more articles about potential longs than I ever have seen about shorting. You make it sound like shorting is the only strategy the Fool considers. Take a look at the last month and see how many articles they've written about shorting stocks and how many they've written about buying stocks long.

The Fool is here to educate, amuse, and enrich. Shorting stocks may not be right for everyone (and the Fools who run this place will probably agree wholeheartedly), but it's up to the individual reader to decide if shorting should be a part of their strategy or not. They discuss several investing strategies, and shorting stocks is just one of them. That's also why they have several real-life portfolios and not just one. Each of the portfolios follows a different strategy.

No one strategy is right for everyone, and the Fool discusses different strategies for different people. I see no reason certain strategies should be off limit.

to be recommending short stock picks at a time when economic recovery is just around the corner

Says who? Since when have you been able to forcast economic recoveries? Alan Greenspan can't even do that, and I'd bet he's far more educated about such matters than you are. When stocks first started dropping 2000, I'd read all over the place that they expected the economy to pick up in the "second half of 2001". THEY WERE WRONG! The economy WILL pick up--someday. It may be this year. It may be NEXT year. Or the year after that. Nobody really knows, and if there's one strategy the Fool does NOT encourage, it's market timing.

I believe I could make more money over the next two years by currently going long on SIRIUS

And let me guess, nobody is allowed to have a different opinion, because you're so much wiser than everyone else in the world? You've never made a mistake in the world of investments, and that's why you're as rich and famous for your investing prowess as Warren Buffett or Peter Lynch.

Just look at the stinking performance of your RULE BREAKER PORTFOLIO these last two years:

What's that have to do with anything? Look at the stinking performance of the stock market as a whole in the last two years. Tough years causes poor performance. The Fool has always said the Rule Breaker strategy was a HIGH-RISK strategy and is not right for everyone. The concept of RISK means you can LOSE money, which is exactly what the Rule Breaker portfolio has done recently.

The Fool does not recommend people copy their portfolios. The portfolios are meant for educational purposes, and whether they succeed or fail doesn't really matter on this website because you can learn just as much from a failed strategy/portfolio as you can from a successful one.

If you're as wise and astute as you think you are, start your own investment company.

-- Ryan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.