Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
It's not an either-or. ideally it's the IV of each individual stock compared to its current stock price. Having said that, computing IV is easier said than done.

My rough methodology is -
- Don't predict the future, don't assume earnings growth will continue, don't assume market sentiment will continue.
- Balance sheet is all-important for financials, important for resource companies (many energy and materials), relevant only to check red flags like excess leverage, excess goodwill etc for most other companies.
- Cash flow statement is mostly important to make sure income statement is not hiding something. e.g. net income should be comparable with CFO - CapEx (averaged over a few years.)
- Income statement tells you most of the story, except for direct-to-book "earnings" (not sure what the accounting term is for those.) Mostly the latter are relevant for financial companies who book gains and losses on long-term investments.

Bottom line, I still use the same method. But in the last year, less and less companies look cheap by any measure. Some in fact look fully valued. e.g. I sold PG at 25x P/E and no growth, though it is undoubtedly a solid company that can pay you a 3% dividend forever. But when everything has risen so much, opportunities due to volatile sentiments cannot be far behind.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.