Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/10/19/survey-40-percen...

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A survey of about 1,100 Americans finds that more than 4-in-10 respondents admit they don’t have more than $500 in readily accessible savings.

The survey is a kind of departure for CreditDonkey.com, a website that compares credit card deals. Not all respondents were poor. Some had big houses, big mortgages or 401(k)s, but still no more than five Benjamins to rub together right now.
--------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to ponder this as i rake leaves.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The government should immediately give $500 to each of the people so they'll have at least $500 in the bank. It should be replinished regularly, so their crack or meth habit won't deplete their assets. Give Obama another term, and you can bet that such a program soon will be in place, along with a similar program for all those incarcerated in prison.
I'm going to ponder this as i rake leaves. 2828

>>>>>>>>>

you have that many leaves on the ground already?
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm going to ponder this as i rake leaves. 2828

>>>>>>>>>

-------------------------------------------
I'd say i'm more than halfway home as far as leaves go, and this week is the first week i can put 12 garbage cans out for yardwaste, before that it was 6. I filled 9 with lawnmower mulched leaves and 3 with pulled out tomato plants today. I usually do yardwork on monday because the pick-up is tuesday, but we have work next week, and it's full days because my dad wants to leave for Florida. My parental buffer zone will go from 15 miles to 2000 in the next 2 weeks. I look forward to all the outside work being done and hibernating over winter with minor interruptions for cleaning....very minor.

this week is the first week i can put 12 garbage cans out for yardwaste

It's leaf city where I am and although we're still early innings, I put 12 garbage cans of leaves on my corn flakes. There are too many leaves for the gardners to haul away so they blow the excess to the back corner of the property and then take them away a truckful at a time after the trees are bare. Some years it takes until July.

--fleg
It's leaf city where I am and although we're still early innings, I put 12 garbage cans of leaves on my corn flakes. There are too many leaves for the gardners to haul away so they blow the excess to the back corner of the property and then take them away a truckful at a time after the trees are bare. Some years it takes until July.

--fleg
-------------------------------------------
Well obviously you're too rich and should be forced to allow squatters on your property. Remember, "this land is your land, this land is MY Land!"
------------------

I can tell you - from up in NoVA - you've got a week - at the most two. The maples are totally beautiful right now. Who needs to go to the Blue Ridge.

arrete
A few leaves here and there, but tons of acorns have dropped in my driveway and they are a pain to broom to the curb......plus side to that is added exercise.

Some squirrel or cat dug up the pansies in the backyard, front plantings are ok though. Dang critters!
A few leaves here and there, but tons of acorns have dropped in my driveway and they are a pain to broom to the curb......plus side to that is added exercise.

Some squirrel or cat dug up the pansies in the backyard

Hate it when the first acorns hit the roof and go rolling into the gutters. Somewhere, squirrels are starving. I don't know what it is about them but transplanted flowers and sown seeds are like a mother lode. This is when I discovered the joy of using chicken wire over the plants with cut and bent pieces from wire hangers to use as anchors for the chicken wire. Blasted little things. Too bad Art didn't live within hollering distance. He would have such a feast to take home. Can't blame cats this time. I'd also like to offer Art the abundance of English sparrows my neighbor likes to propogate with her bird houses.
"because my dad wants to leave for Florida." - 2828

Me too. Can I go with him?

Artie
"I'm going to ponder this as i rake leaves." - 2828

Don't rake, mow. Just chop them up with your lawnmower and let the mulch fall down between the grass. Earthworms and other critters will turn the chopped up leaves into fertilizer for your lawn.

I haven't raked leaves in years.

Art
"Some squirrel or cat dug up the pansies in the backyard, front plantings are ok though. Dang critters!" - luckydog

Fried squirrel is delicious.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/102850/fried-squirrel.html

Artie
"Too bad Art didn't live within hollering distance. He would have such a feast to take home. Can't blame cats this time. I'd also like to offer Art the abundance of English sparrows my neighbor likes to propogate with her bird houses." - buffalogal

You wouldn't have a squirrel problem if I lived near you. Trust me.

Not much meat on an English sparrow. When I worked at the UT Vet School every once in a while Dr. Funk from the Exotic Animal Ward would ask us to go over to the Barn at Cherokee Farm and gather up some young English Sparrow babies out of the nests in the barn because they were having trouble getting some baby python to feed. Young pythons love baby birds. The reason the python was at the UT Vet school was because its owner was having trouble getting the snake to feed and it was starving to death.

My point is that English Sparrows make good snake food. Squirrels make good human food.

Art
Some had big houses, big mortgages or 401(k)s, but still no more than five Benjamins to rub together right now.

Stupid is as stupid does.

JLC
... I filled 9 with lawnmower mulched leaves...

Dude, what a waste.

When I had a yard with numerous trees, I just mulched the leaves into the yard. Didn't bag. Yes I had to do it every week even though the grass quit growing, but after a couple years the lawn looked much better and needed less water.

JLC
"When I had a yard with numerous trees, I just mulched the leaves into the yard. Didn't bag. Yes I had to do it every week even though the grass quit growing, but after a couple years the lawn looked much better and needed less water." - JLC

That's what we started doing many years ago. Just chop them up and turn them into worm food.

Art
A survey of about 1,100 Americans finds that more than 4-in-10 respondents admit they don’t have more than $500 in readily accessible savings.

This reminds me of a woman I worked with many years ago who clucked, "We're all just a paycheck away from homelessness."

I didn't say anything in reply, but my thought was "Speak for yourself."
"A survey of about 1,100 Americans finds that more than 4-in-10 respondents admit they don’t have more than $500 in readily accessible savings."
-----------
This reminds me of a woman I worked with many years ago who clucked, "We're all just a paycheck away from homelessness." I didn't say anything in reply, but my thought was "Speak for yourself." - Baron Von Andrew

--------------

I probably shouldn't reveal how much after tax "cash on hand" we have but suffice it to say... it's enough to last several years. Probably enough to last us till we are both old enough to collect social security. Besides which our house and cars are paid for and we have no credit card debt.

I had a friend at church reveal to me that he and his wife are two months behind in their bills. He said to me, "you probably don't know what that feels like?" I was sort of flabbergasted but he was right. Since we have been married we have never not been able to pay our bills.

In fact I usually had enough food stashed away to feed us and the horde of college students we were friends with. I worked for the Animal Science and Poultry Science department and they paid me in meat. I had to tape our freezer shut with masking tape to keep it from popping open. My best friend used to come home with me to our house every day at lunch and we'd eat and laugh till it hurt and then stop at Dairy Queen which was about a block away and have a cup of vanilla soft serve ice cream before going back to class.

Artie
"I worked for the Animal Science and Poultry Science department and they paid me in meat. I had to tape our freezer shut with masking tape to keep it from popping open." - artie

The church we went to had about 4 deer hunters that used to keep me busy in the fall butchering and cutting up deer for them. They paid me in meat. I cut up about 15 deer/year. I usually got about 1/4 of a deer for cutting one up. I bought a bunch of sheep for $5.00/head that the Animal Science department only wanted the reproductive tracts out of. I killed and butchered them in our back yard. I had so much meat from them that I used to haul the rib section down the street to our poor black neighbors and give them bags full of meat.

And then there were the chickens. The poultry science department were doing bone strength studies to figure out which diets would give chickens the strongest bones. They have a problem of wing bones breaking when they process chickens. So they were putting groups of chickens on special diets and figuring out which diet gave the chickens the strongest bones.

About four of us boys helped clean and process the birds and all the researchers wanted was one wing bone off each bird. So at the end we had several hundred chickens they didn't want - so they paid us in whole chickens minus one wing. These were big 4 to 6 lb roasters and were huge! I went home one day with 37 chickens. I was feeding everyone I knew chicken.

One Taiwanese boy from Church that was F.O.B. (fresh off the boat) had never eaten a big large piece of chicken before and I had deep fried the breasts of one of these birds and he stuck his fork in it and picked the whole thing up to his mouth and bit off a big hunk and said "this is dericious!" It was pretty dang funny!

Art
"A survey of about 1,100 Americans finds that more than 4-in-10 respondents admit they don’t have more than $500 in readily accessible savings."

This must be RECF, I have more than that in pennies stored in the garage!
We won't even start to talk about my collection of every state quarter I have ever gotten (though since I started using my credit card for groceries etc -why not get cash back?-I do not get much change)