Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
It's not hard to adjust the formula for an initial lump sum (add 1 variable). Also, i believe my example was monthly payments? (and tha'ts what he wanted i assume).

So the only thing i need to adjust is an initial lump sum?
if so, no problem. It's a very well known formula.

andmunn,

I was looking for a formula that would allow me to start with a lump sum, keep adding a set amount of money to that lump sum each month, and then calculate what I would have at the end.

I looked at the formula you included in your other message, but couldn't figure out where a lump sum could be inserted in that equation. Do you know where it would go?

In the meantime, I went to the first link and entered in the information to see how long it would take for me to reach the target amount I had set for the ten year mark--as I suspected, I had underestimated how long it would take me to reach my goal!! By about, well, 2 1/2 years.

And I was only using the average growth rate of the S&P 500 (11% per year). Since I'm hoping to beat the S&P 500 with my drip portfolio, it looks like I should set my goal slightly bigger than it is now.

Thanks to everyone again!

myadidas
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.