Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
http://illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=5221

After yesterday’s election, Democrats will have a supermajority in both the Illinois House and Senate after inauguration on Jan. 8, 2012. Senate Democrats picked up five seats and will have 40 seats in January – Senate Republicans will control only 19 seats.

Illinois House Republicans lost seven seats yesterday, and House Speaker Michael Madigan will control a 71-seat veto-proof majority.

There are many reasons for the huge loss of Republican seats in the Illinois General Assembly: Democrats drew a new district map, Republicans were overwhelmingly outspent in local races, Republicans showed a distinct lack of leadership and policy vision and races were dictated by a national wave driven by President Barack Obama.

Illinois Democrats have ownership of the state of Illinois. In the next two years they must address some big problems. Illinois Democrats own the $203 billion in unfunded pension liability. Illinois Democrats own the $9 billion in unpaid vendor bills. Illinois Democrats own 8.8 percent statewide unemployment. With a supermajority in the House and the Senate, Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton can no longer blame Illinois problems, and its absence of solutions, on a lack of Republican bipartisanship.
---------------------------------------------------------
Friggin' Bush!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
With a supermajority in the House and the Senate, Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton can no longer blame Illinois problems, and its absence of solutions, on a lack of Republican bipartisanship.

Ah, but they will. The Dems blamed the GOP for the first two years of Obama's reign. And by looking at the posters that blessed us with their wisdom and insight, the unwashed masses bought it.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Senate Republicans will control only 19 seats.

I am surprised that there would be that many Republicans in the IL senate.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
With a supermajority in the House and the Senate, Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton can no longer blame Illinois problems, and its absence of solutions, on a lack of Republican bipartisanship.

Maybe California would be willing to lend Prop 13 and Ronald Reagan's governorship to Illinois to blame things on. According to many CA Dems, all of California's problems began with those two events.

--fleg
Senate Republicans will control only 19 seats.

I think the Republicans should take a cue from the Wisconsin Democrats and flee to Illinois. Oh, wait...

--fleg
I am surprised that there would be that many Republicans in the IL senate.

Mike

We think of Illinois as a "blue" state, but that's only because Chicago dominates the state population-wise.

If you look at Illinois county by county, the state is mostly red:

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-muckrakers/files/2011/06/I...

Problem is, most of the red counties are relatively sparsely populated.
OK, that blue area at the southern tip of IL contains Cairo, right? That's not very populated. What cities/towns are in that blue county in the SW?
St Clair County. It contains East St Louis. I shoulda known.