Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

http://www.nanowrimo.org

CK
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the link! I had not heard of this before but this year, I'm going in....blub, blub, blub.......

MPF
CK,

Are you doing it again this year? I signed up. I'm ljordan over there. Since I'm still working two jobs and have put in over 60 hours this week on the primary one, I must be crazy. However, I think it might work out.

Lynn
I'll certainly give it a whirl. I finished in 2001 (while going through a stressful time at work -- the writing was therapeutic), didn't finish in 2002. What I hope to do is take what I write this year and combine it with what I wrote in 2001 (as a subplot) to have some semblence of a full-blown novel. We'll see!

CK
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, I'm really just a lurker here. Although I've made a decent living as a proposal writer for years, I never considered that "real" writing as it is pretty devoid of creative flair. I have published a few essays and non-fiction pieces but I am not even Martini Club material, much less a respected published author so I lurk rather than posting but I want you all to know how inspiring and helpful I find this forum.

THANK YOU so very much for posting this link. I'd never heard of this challenge. It is a short enough time period that even procrastinators and people with commitment problems (and chronic rewrite avoiders) can approach this without dread.

I'm coming out of lurker mode because I find that sometimes being held accountable makes it more likely that I'll achieve my goals.

I'm doing this challenge. I doubt I'll finish, I rarely finish anything I start (not limited to my writing projects) but I'm registered, I sent my $10 and I've already been in a flame war on the forum there (SHEESH I have to become famous, I already have the people hating me thing down to a science).

Good luck to everyone else doing the challenge. See you at the finish line (I hope, I hope, I hope) on November 30.

MrsFourStarDave, not a "real" writer but in awe of those of you who are
RE: MrsFSD: "I doubt I'll finish, I rarely finish anything I start (not limited to my writing projects) but I'm registered, I sent my $10 and I've already been in a flame"

I signed up last year but couldn't get started. Some jerk filed their whole 50,000 words the first day, which rather offended my sensibilities, and I had some business deals pending that could have taken up a lot of my time, so I just let it go. (I did have a damn neat title though!) I can sit down and crank out a thousand words, no problem, as long as I don't have to. I just have no self-dicipline.

I've been visiting the site the past week or so and checking out their Discussion Boards, thinking that might inspire me. About all I came up with there was one good line: "Yeah, well I didn't have talking dogs I just wrote drunk."

Now that's my style!

SB (got the storytelling part down pat, its the transition to writing that hangs me up)

I signed up last year but couldn't get started. Some jerk filed their whole 50,000 words the first day, which rather offended my sensibilities,

a). They were cheating
b). What does that have to do with you?

Hit the keyboard! You never know what might happen. I believe the abandomnent of all discipline is necessary to the process. How else can you produce and average of 1666.6666 words/day? They don't have to be good words - you just have to crank them out around a central idea.

MPF
NaNoWriMo Rookie Registrant

What the hey. I signed up.

I was intimidated by it last year, figured I had no business writing a novel in a month. Now that I have published a short story and am currently working on a novel, I'm to the "who-knows-it-might-be-fun" stage. I'll probably be converting a bunch of perfectly good computer bits into worthless junk, but if I can finish, I'll at least be able to say I've written a novel. It might be a bad novel, but it's a novel.

If I write every day, it's only 1666 words a day. Of course, I work 70 hours a week, so I must be insane. But I can write that many words on the Motley Fool message boards in one day without breaking a sweat.

Here goes...
RE: MPF: "a). They were cheating" & "b). What does that have to do with you?"

a). Right

b). It would be okay for me to cheat too.

RE: "the abandomnent of all discipline is necessary to the process"

Oh, were that such was true? (in direct inverse proportion no less)

SB (would be famous)
Oh, were that such was true? (in direct inverse proportion no less)

SB (would be famous)

Writing a good novel requires discipline. Writing a 50K anything goes novel is a free for all.

You must abandon your standards. At least I hope so. I've never done this so WDIK? I've never even tried to write a novel but that's because in the past I only wanted to write a GOOD novel. I have much more confidence that I can write a bad novel.

And, as JamesBrown pointed out, it is not uncommon to write 1000 words a day of TMF postings and emails. I just need to switch habits.

MPF
blissfully ignorant ingénue
No. of Recommendations: 2
Writing a good novel requires discipline. Writing a 50K anything goes novel is a free for all. You must abandon your standards. At least I hope so. I've never done this so WDIK? I've never even tried to write a novel but that's because in the past I only wanted to write a GOOD novel. I have much more confidence that I can write a bad novel.

The funny part about dropping your standards is that what you end up writing ends up being not so bad. At least that has been my experience. The problem with setting out to write a good anything is that you often end up not writing anything at all.

The writing and the editing processes have to be kept separate. You can always edit something bad. You can't edit a blank page.

CK
>>>>You can't edit a blank page.

CK: Isn't that what writing is??? <g>

Mark.
Fine! I registered. Now stop sending me guilt waves via the telepathic ether.
RE: Nanowrimo Forums

http://www.nanowrimo.org/forums.php

I hadn't paid much attention to these last year, but it's like a giant sized version of this Board in that "writers" with all levels of skill and aspiration discuss the process of Nanowrimo in particular and srories and writing in general. One nice feature are "experts" in many subjects who can give advice should you come to some odd fact or feature in your story that you don't quite know how to explain or express.

Also, Nanowrimo writers in many areas get together during the month to discuss their project, but even if you live in a remote area like I do you might find some surprises. The Forums has Boards divided by State, and then subdivided into cities or areas. I inadvertently ran into somebody now living in Florida whose husband is from my home town, (I know his brother and a nephew), whose story involves a mysterious event that occurred in this area about 25 years ago (that I honestly had nothing to do with, but do have some inside information about). I'm also sending her some area background that I wrote for a totally different purpose on another TMF Board.

SB (small world)