Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7

It's the math dude. When your evolutionary equations for the flagellum are as accurate at predicting biological change as our ability to mathematically model the universe and make predictions based on them, then you can compare the two.

Call me a cynic dude, but somehow I think that the Behe's et al. of this world would snuff at a mathematical model of evolution that is similar to the mish-mash of theories of cosmology, where gravity and quantum mechanics clash, where there is a Grand Unified Theory with numerous gaps (like where's the Higg's boson?) existing alongside numerous variants of string and superstringtheory, M-theory and so on, which may be mathematically interesting but at this moment thoroughly untestable.
Are you saying that the existence of a superstring rest on more solid, proven ground than the "possible pathways" that biology scientists proposed for the evolution of the flagellum ?

Don't get me wrong, I 'm happy with this dynamic and exciting panoply of ideas and theories of cosmology. GUT has predicted lots of things that have been corroborated by experiment afterwards (the quark families, the unification of forces etc...). I'm pretty positive that the predicted Higgs boson will be found when the new accelerators are operating at cruise speed. But evolution theory also has predicted many things, like the existence of hereditary information at cell-level which is passed on to offspring, the sequence of fossils and its match with the spatial variation of DNA, the region where early humans originated etc... and ID'ers set the bar definitely at a much higher level for evolution than cosmology when they insist on a gapless fossil record or an accurate and experimentally proven pathway at the microbiology level for the flagellum.

T.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.