No. of Recommendations: 1
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
"It´s the military´s fault? "

Huh?

The article says Kerry blamed BUSH.

Bush is NOT "the military", despite his strutting about in a flight suit (anymore than Dukakis was when he was riding in a tank in '88).

Blaming the idiot-in-chief (and his lackey Rumsfeld) is NOT blaming "the troops"!

jb
No. of Recommendations: 11
Blaming the idiot-in-chief (and his lackey Rumsfeld)

jb,

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, aren't you still a commissioned officer? While I agree with your sentiment, I find it truly disgusting that a commissioned officer would refer to the CIC publicly in this manner. It truly is conduct unbecoming.

Now, once you retire; that's a different story.

Jeff
Blaming the idiot-in-chief (and his lackey Rumsfeld) is NOT blaming "the troops"!

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, aren't you still a commissioned officer? While I agree with your sentiment, I find it truly disgusting that a commissioned officer would refer to the CIC publicly in this manner. It truly is conduct unbecoming.

------------------------------------

I believe the above statement in italics in it's entirety would not be construed as dissing the CIC. Now when you remove the words after the parens, then you have taken the meaning out of context.

Just sayin'.

CaveGirl

No. of Recommendations: 2
You are correct.

Technically, soldiers aren't supposed to say anything bad about the CINC, but we all know it happens every day. (and "idiot" is NOTHING compared to some of the choice words I have heard from officers and NCOs referring to the present and former CINCs).

Come to think of it, I probably said FAR worse about Clinton in the early years of his administration. That was before the economy and the stock market took off- its hard to curse the President when things are going well. Who knows, if Bush ever gets his sh*t together, my support for him will go up as well. If you go back to 2000-2001, you will find the overwhelming majority of my posts about Bush were positive- but as he began to prove his incompetence, my tone changed. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have called him an idiot- perhaps "incompetent" is a better word...

Technically, we aren't supposed to swear either, but I confess, I sometimes do.

I'll work on fixing both flaws (after I finish flogging myself, of course). With luck I will become perfect like the CINC who never makes a mistake (or at least never admits it), lol

Here's an interesting point of discussion for military scholars: If the President is, in fact, an idiot*, is it okay for a soldier to refer to him as such?

jb

* I'm not saying he is, of course, I'm just throwing it out for discussion :)
No. of Recommendations: 5
Technically, soldiers aren't supposed to say anything bad about the CINC, but we all know it happens every day. (and "idiot" is NOTHING compared to some of the choice words I have heard from officers and NCOs referring to the present and former CINCs).

I guess I'm not surprised you went with the "Everybody else is doing it" defense.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I guess I'm not surprised you went with the "Everybody else is doing it" defense."

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I said I was flogging myself over this grivous infraction- what more do you want?

I also jaywalked yesterday. Its a CRIME SPREE!

I'm a bad man, a very bad man...

jb

No. of Recommendations: 12
Don't get your panties in a bunch, I said I was flogging myself over this grivous infraction- what more do you want?

I also jaywalked yesterday. Its a CRIME SPREE!

I'm a bad man, a very bad man...

You're right; I guess I just served during a time when we expected more from commissioned officers. My bad.

Jeff
"I guess I just served during a time when we expected more "

You are either never served or have major memory loss* if you think you think there was ever a time when officers didn't say negative things about the President- I GUARANTEE its been going on since Washington was President.

Somehow, the Republic survived...

Yeah, I'm still a BAD man...lock up you women folk, I'm still on the loose and I might exceed the speed limit driving home from work today...the crime spree continues! Be afraid...

jb

* or you were one of those REALLY uptight guys with no personality and no sense of humor, who did everything by the book, and who got laughed at as soon he left the room- no one says anything around that sort of twit because he'd probably report it...I think we all knew a few of those guys...
No. of Recommendations: 9
You are either never served or have major memory loss* if you think you think there was ever a time when officers didn't say negative things about the President

Around my peers, yes. In public, no. That's the difference. I'm sorry the nuance escaped you.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 6
Around my peers, yes. In public, no. That's the difference. I'm sorry the nuance escaped you.
------------------

I'm glad someone brought that basic point up. This is a public forum, not your living room, C64. A bit of discretion and decorum is the order of the day.

Yoda
"Around my peers, yes. In public, no"

So its okay to do it among military folks, but a heinous crime to do it in front of civilians?

Is the military some sort of "skull and bones" like secret society?

You never did it around a government civilian?

Were you flogged for it?

Do you get the impression I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill?

jb
No. of Recommendations: 13

The impression I get is that you're not much of an officer.

Jeff

The impression I get is that you're not much of an officer.

Children, please!

- Tom
Children, please!

- Tom

-------------------------

Cheap entertainment. Not bad for $29.95 a year.

CaveGirl
"The impression I get is that you're not much of an officer"

Wrong.

Again.

But if that helps you get over your tantrum, have at it. Sometimes, its best to just let baby cry...there, there, little one, let it all out, lol.

BTW, Bush is starting to look like a towering genius compared to you- so if your intent was to make Bush look better, you have succeeded.

jb
"Children, please!"

But...

But...

HE STARTED IT! :)

jb

But...

HE STARTED IT! :)

jb
=================================
Clarification here, for the more dense of us please...

YOU ARE AN ACTIVE DUTY OFFICER/NON COMM IN THE US MILITARY, RIGHT NOW?

A straight yes or no very much appreciated.
No. of Recommendations: 11
You're right; I guess I just served during a time when we expected more from commissioned officers. My bad.

In my opinion, showing public disrespect for the President is a serious offense for members of the military, especially officers. There is a strong tradition in this country of civilian control of the military. Not without cause, there always is a fear of military taking control of the government. For that reason, military officers need to be mindful to show respect towards elected officials in public.

If the public sees military personnel showing disrespect towards the President (and their Commander in Chief) it lessens their confidence in us that we will stay subject to civilian control. It also starts the slippery slope of less and less respect of military personnel towards that civilian control.

BCF
YOU ARE AN ACTIVE DUTY OFFICER/NON COMM IN THE US MILITARY, RIGHT NOW?

No.