Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
This Board Has Moved

We are in the process of migrating the boards to our new platform! This board has already been migrated but you can click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
It's the private forums on Facebook which make it sing. Three private groups I belong to on Facebook are doing things (without any acknowledgment on my timeline, or mention that I belong to said group) which we don't want our employers to know about or where we discuss technical analytics with beautiful charts, videos, and more...

One room I am in has just formed a union for nightclub DJs. Our first business is forming our own healthcare plan for DJs nationwide and setting up a scholarship fund for children of DJs. We would never be able to do this in the open because we discuss things such as which clubs pay the best money, which clubs are the worst run, which clubs need to be shut down for labor violations. It has taken us many months of behind the scenes discussions, arguments, etc., all in real time, all of us having documented threads of our discussions, while still having the Private Message channel to discuss/argue strategy with allies and opponents.

Lastly, we use Facebook, Twitter, instagram, Linkedin (I have yet to use Twitter or instagram) to market our businesses and artists among our groups. Nothing, and I mean, nothing has succeeded like Facebook at social media marketing. Instagram is very hip with teens. But our businesses (nightclubs/stripclubs/bars/restaurants with alcohol being served)do not allow teenagers inside. Facebook is perfect for us.

Linkedin is better for white collar business professionals to network, but Facebook is for musicians, actors, singers, comedians, strippers, djs, etc. to form private forums and do so without anyone frowning at our language and humor. I have one comedian friend who has mutliplied his gigs 5x in one year by using contacts in his private Facebook forum for comedians only - meaning no agents or club owners or fans can view the heated discussions these guys and gals have. He is also saving money and headaches by no longer booking himself into untested "difficult" clubs other comedians talk about because the owners always have an excuse for not meeting the guarantees, or they pay late, or they don't advertise properly, double book frequently, etc.

One last note: my bar complex has discontinued all radio and TV advertising. Our Facebook posts for special nights fill our respective clubs with locals AND tourists. We are actually having people from across America joining our pages on Facebook and then arranging their vacations around stuff we are posting.

I've got a friend who owns an extremly successful bar in Key West which isn't even a year old. He uses Facebook to advertise his UFC fights on his TVs. He needs to expand his bar. He doesn't advertise on radio, TV or in print. He never has. He simply took to Facebook and let everybody know he just bought a bar. The rest, as they say, is history...It's one of the coolest bars in Key West and now tourists are buying his t-shirts, hats,etc. and flocking to the place. All because of Facebook posts and photos.

Something might come along to knock Facebook off its pedestal as Facebook did to MySpace, but right now, I don't see anything which combines mobile, photos, videos, messaging, private posts, secret forums, etc., as Facebook has done...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.