Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

It's true that a number of my underperform calls have been made on stocks it'd be quite difficult to short with real money as shares aren't readily available to be borrowed. That's not the case for all of my underperform calls, however.

Not saying you, or anyone else for that matter would, but I would like to add that I would STRONGLY discourage anyone from following any one of my picks with real money on the basis of my having made the pick alone - a lot of what I do in CAPS is experiment with ideas that I, myself, would never try with real money.

That said, since CAPS is a stock picking / stock ranking game and not a portfolio simulation game, I think being able to make calls one couldn't make with real money greatly enhances community intelligence.

The real master at finding junk stocks isn't me, though. That honor I'd have to bestow on Seth (TMFBent) by a country mile. What he's done, and what he's uncovered, has been absolutely incredible - and I have learned a great deal from his efforts.

CAPS, ultimately, is about finding the best stocks in my view. Part of finding what to invest in is finding what *not* to invest in and I believe that exposing some of these fly-by-night companies, as CAPS has so far done a darn good job of doing, helps immesurably in that regard.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.