Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's very difficult to elect not to be a participant in a qualified plan. The taxing / labor authorities think the employer is squeezing you out, consequently the employer usually doesn't want to attempt it even if you want out. I assume you are over the income threshold for the deductible IRA. This leaves you with the ROTH IRA. Assuming you are not over that threshold you can contribute $2,000. It's not deductible but the earnings are never taxed if you follow the rules.

BTW, you should talk to your employer about trashing the existing plan and going with a SEP IRA. They are very cost effective and allow the employee to elect to defer income as in a 401(k). My vague recollection is that each employee can put up to $6,000 per year into plan. Pixy probably knows this off the top of his head.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.