Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've actually known several people who underwent bariatric surgery here in our area. Houston has one of the best known clinics for it in Texas and we get the expertise of their physicians through one of our networks. Every one I've known who has the surgery had one expectation going into it, and didn't necessarily get the results they were hoping for. The doctors do a great job in counseling patients about things like how miuch weight they can expect to lose, how to eat to get maximum nutrition, etc. But they really don't delve deep enough to discover the underlying causes of why the patient became morbidly obese to begin with.

Are you sure about that??

My husband is part of an organ transplant team up here in Boston and, in order to be placed on a wait list for someone else's liver, medically eligible patients have to go through a battery of psychological tests that are incredibly invasive and the sort of thing that most folk would object to as being *discriminatory* if it happened to them. If they don't *pass* these tests, they die.

Bariatric surgery and its aftermath is a big financial drain on medical resources. The folk that *I* know who've received this intervention all attested to the fact that they received the counselling and pre-op work up that any reasonable individual would expect to receive......regardless of outcome (in a couple of cases a resort to litigation was contemplated in order to get the procedure approved by an insurance company)

My opinion is that, in pretty much every case, the time and money could've been better spent elsewhere. Seems like you agree, right?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.