No. of Recommendations: 0
I've always maxed out my Roth IRA contributions in the past and I would like to continue.

Maybe it was somewhere in the thread but what tax year is "in the past." It sounds like the 2012 tax year is fine. When you are considering 2013, you'll be considered married for the whole year. If your expected joint income is too high to contribute, do you know what your marginal tax rate will be ? If so, make sure that paying taxes at that rate is really worth it.

Also, carefully compare that to what you would pay for taxable investments(short term gain, long term gain and dividends). For some reason the word "taxable" scares people.

I'd also wait to do anything other than an individual taxable account until after your are married.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.