Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've been an AARP Tax-Aide volunteer for several years, Lorenzo. I too started out with a cheat sheet for myself so I wouldn't overlook any credits that a client might be due. After doing a few returns I gained a lot of confidence, and began to be able to look over the information a client brought in to figure out pretty well just what to pay attention to.

This year the little reference guide that the IRS provides is really helpful, and you may soon be able to rely on that rather than a cheat sheet. Also, I find that the 1040 instructions, where at the front an illustration of the form shows what page to look at for information needed for each line, is a very handy reference.

One of the biggest problems you'll find is a client who has sold stock, or (worse) mutual funds, and doesn't have a clue as to what the cost basis is. Brokerages and fund families have greatly improved their reporting in the last year or two, fortunately.

TaxWise is fairly simple to use, but has some major gotchas. One blind alley that's all too easy to get into is linking to the proper subordinate form, worksheet, or scratch sheet. If you're not careful, you may wind up using multiple sheets that will drop out the data on all but one of the sheets.

Good luck! There is a pretty good reward in being able to help seniors minimize their taxes and save money they would otherwise have to pay to a CPA or tax agency. And the cookies, etc. some bring in are pretty good too!

Karl Pearson
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.