No. of Recommendations: 1
I've been getting similar offers from other entities other than Sam's Club. AAA had a similar offer. I wouldn't want to be limited to gas bought only at Sam's Club.

That was one of the first things I looked at. It's not just gas at Sam's Club, it's gas at Sam's Club or anywhere in the United States or Puerto Rico, excluding warehouse clubs other than Sam's Club.

. . . the first thing I would look at is the 5% on the first $6000 in purchases per calendar year. I would make sure that it is the first %6000 in gasoline purchases, not all purchases. I would be concerned that you could go out and buy $6000 in furniture and then the next time you fill up with gas, you'll find you are no longer getting 5% back on gasoline.

I'm pretty sure that it's just gas, but I'll be read it again before pulling the trigger, if I do pull the trigger. Finding a hook like that would make this a no-go, on the assumption that I might have missed worse hooks.

A back of the envelope analysis of my spending patterns says this is worth between $30 and $50 per year to me, over the cash back I get with my current cards. AJ's cautionary tale is one strike against it. I have to think about the in-club redemption and whether the hassle (plus possible customer service incompetence on the part of Synchrony Bank) is worth the added rewards.

It also sticks in the back of my mind that the major point of the offer is to make the Sam's membership stickier. That's good for me as a Walmart shareholder, but not necessarily good for me as a consumer.

There is a Costco being built locally. It's being built in about the most inconvenient location possible without being an hour drive away, but I'd like to check it out. Lots of Fools say Costco is superior to Sam's, but until this one is built I'm not able to check on that for myself. If it turns out that Costco is enough superior to Sam's to overcome the location inconvenience, it would not be a good thing to be tied to Sam's by the rewards card.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.