No. of Recommendations: 0
I've bought two 3 TB external USB 3 Seagate drives from Costco for $130 each. At that price it's hard to beat, but I think Amazon and maybe NewEgg matched it at the time.

On the plus side, they seem to be pretty good drives. I kept one it it's case, and the other I pried apart and put into a 24" iMac. SATA drives.

And the case is setup with a base and drive, a little similar to the Voyager, which could help if you need to take only part of the drive somewhere, or throw it in a firebox or something.

OTOH, I found some funky stuff with the drive formatting. There was a few things going on as it seems none of my other cases support drives over 1.5-2 TB. But it seemed like the drive was kept in a format (likely windows) and then the chips were translating it. I say this because I formatted the drive in OS X on my older iMac, installed onto it, and booted from it...and then put it into the newer iMac. Inside the new iMac, it didn't recognize the drive.

Formatting it in the new iMac, and then installing an OS onto it, and booting from it, things were ok. But putting it back into the case and connecting it to either iMac, it wasn't happy. But putting it in a different case, it showed my first partition of 800 gigs, and booted from it.

I say all of this just as a word of warning, about if you wanted it external at first and then put it internal. But other than that, it's been fine, and I've used it inside my newer iMac now for nearly 2 months.

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.