No. of Recommendations: 1
I've followed FSLR for eons...giving it a thumbs down when it was stupid expensive (in the 250's) and almost grabbing a real-life falling knife last year (near $100 share price). I am pretty sure I see the macro reason for the crazy share pricing throughout the sector and it can be summed up in one word: China.

China has been super-subsidizing their solar industry. Now they (say they) aren't going to anymore. When China really kicked up the subsidies in about 2009, FSLR took it on the chin. Solyndra may well have been a victim, and you probably know others. If China is indeed going to stop propping up their home-grown money losers, that is FSLR's gain. They can (and will) price for profitability again. Trina is moving up in tandem with FSLR, but Trina is a fool's bet IMO. FSLR has generated real cash all along...they are now unleashed...or at least probably unleashed. There may be other US or non-Chinese companies similarly positioned. I'd look there.

No backsies, China!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.