Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
I've had a similar experience with military people. Shortly after the war in Afghanistan started I wandered into the local Pizza Hut at lunch time. Living near a military base it was packed with military people. As I ate my lunch I got the thinking about how much military people give up to serve our country.

I found a table that had 4 enlisted men and found their waitress and told her I would like to pick up their check. She told that the military already gets a discount there. I thanked her for that said I would still like to buy their meal. She gave me their check and I paid it. As I was doing so she explained to the table what was happening.

After paying I noticed they were watching me so I wander over to their table. I explained that this was something that I could do the express my gratitute for their service. These were all AWAC people. If you remember, we deployed our AWACs to Afghanistan, so NATO had deployed some of their aircraft here.

One young person was from the Netherlands and had come with his AWACS unit. We talked for a few minutes and then I told them to enjoy their lunch. For weeks after that I made it a point to go there once a week and do the same thing. Every person there was extremely grateful, and as grateful as they were I was more proud of myself for being able to help out in some small way.

Thanks to all of our fine military men, women and families who give so much so selflessly...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.