Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I've learned everything from the Stich and Bitc* book so far...and was completely new to knitting before...

And let me tell you...I'm a bit impatient with these things...and well sort of ummm...like to get everything crafty right the first time ;-)

but I really had to take my time, and stare and stare at the diagrams...putting my want-to-do-it-all-right-out-of-the-gateness on the shelf (it's hard!!...but I guess it's doable).
And, I find that it's nice having the book there for reference too, cause if you are learning and go away from a piece in the beginning for a little while, it's great to have that reference diagram...I've had to look at the book for binding off a few times at the end of my simple starter pieces cause I forget...it's like a good security blanket (wow, this is feeling like a 'beginnner knitter confession'of sorts ;-) )...

I think it's just one of those things, just consider your learning style in gerenal and how you tend to grasp new things...easier when ppl show you? do you like to read instructions or learn a few things from someone and then take off on your own??

For me, a lot of times I learn better from ppl and visuals/experimentation...I thought about taking a class but wanted to save $$ (and I don't know anyone locally who knits)..so I figured I'd consolidate and try to learn the beginner stuff out of the book(s) and slightly more complex stuff in a class or pay for a lesson when I am really stuck.

SnB is a good book but there are others that I've seen in craft sections too that have similar getting started diagrams...(SnB just provides a little humor as well!)...also online too...searching on key words like 'knit and purl' will get you a lot of diagrams for freeeeee!

But I've found of all things one needs a bit of patience and time...
And so, from one beginner knitter to another I give you the words of George Harrison :)

It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, ummm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it,
To do it right

Cheers,
E
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.