Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've managed my own IRA since 2000, when we retired, and have managed to beat most "normal" return measurements. I buy and sell, or let dividends come in, depending on what works.

Some dividend stocks have done very well and may continue for a while. On the conservative side, AT&T, GE and B&G Foods (and some others) have been good to me. On the wilder side, some REIT's (like AGNC, NLY, and others) pay outlandish dividends for now, while interest rates are low. But one must be nimble and pay attention to one's investments!

Note: I am NOT an investment counselor, nor do I suggest anyone follow what I recommend!

SS is our main income source, but I withdraw a little from my IRA as I need it, having it go overnight to my checking account, up to maybe $10,000 or so a year. I do not stick with the famous "4%" rule.

By the way, we have paid NO income tax for 3 years now (using TurboTax and filing peoperly) -- state or federal -- so no complaints.

I feel strongly that people need to LEARN and pay more attention to their own investments than they do to the latest TV show. Sadly, a lot of people don't do that.

Good luck.

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.