Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I’ve never bothered with a video doorbell, although I do have 24/7 Wyze camera video of our front porch which I can access from anywhere in the house or remotely on my tablet or phone. Better, with a 32g microcard, it stores several days worth of video locally without additional cost. No monthly fee, that’s my favorite part. (It’s about $5 for a card these days.) You can also store shorter clips onboard the Wyze without a card, or your can pay $2 a month for longer clips, although I don’t know much about that since I don’t use it.)

The cameras can be set for motion capture only, full time recording, or even track & follow with an additional $25 accessory. I think the cameras I got were about $50-$75 each depending on if I got them on a Black Friday sale or not. I have a half dozen or so for both internal and external. They used to have “identity check” or something like that (recognize specific people) but I think that was discontinued. Not sure.)

You would still have to whip out the phone and open the app etc. so it would still take some time to recognize. And I know you can get sound, but not sure if it’s two-way.

They have cameras that are 110v and battery operated and can be external without power, but I don’t know if that works for you. I just have a regular doorbell. Well, anything but “regular”, it plays mp3s of your choice. I used to have geese squawking (we get visited by geese) but it was too confusing when real geese showed up and I thought there was a human at the front door. Now it plays the first 20 seconds of Louis Armstrong’s “Wonderful World”. It’s a hoot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018HSJWD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.