Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've often wondered what would happen if someone put in a market order and the only matching order was way beyond current market prices.

It is my understanding that the order would execute. That's why the more illiquid the stock, the better off one is using a limit order. For the few HG's I've purchased (the smaller ones), I've always used a limit order, even if that limit order is at or very near the ask price. I'm not necessarily looking for a 'bargain', just making sure I pay what I think I'm going to pay. By contrast, when I bought Hasbro, I just went ahead and used a market order - small bid/ask spread and a lot of liquidity - I might pay a penny more or less if the ask price moves around on me, but a penny per share I'm more than willing to accept.

Regards,

Eldrehad

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.