Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've owned Saab, Chevy, Ford, BMC (British Motor Corp.), and Toyota. The Toyota wins hands down. We put 250,000 hard Northeastern winter miles on our 1990 Camry wagon and it's still going strong with no problems. Worst reliability issue was a bum A/C compressor, which was really a fluke. These cars are very easy to work on (my experience), parts are readily available anywhere and any shop can work on them. If the bodywork will take 9 heavily-salted winters, anything less should be a breeze. If you live in a warm climate, the paint will wear off before the bodywork fails.

Since you can probably afford something more upscale if you hold it forever, I'd recommend a Lexus (Toyota) 300 series with leather interior for durability.

We're just passing 35,000 miles on our third Camry. If you'd like to understand just why Toyota's quality is so high, a good read is, "The Machine That Changed The World".

Rick
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.