Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I've recently been laid off as part of a large downsizing of an IT company. This is the first time I've been unemployed since graduating from college, and I'm still in shock.
I've never had to file unemployment before, so I'd appreciate any information you guys can give me on it. Also, does it make a tax difference when you file for unemployment and when you rollover a 401K? Should one be done before the other? How does it affect severance pay? If it makes a difference, I'd be filing in Illinois. Thanks for any help.

Sorry that you've joined the flood of downsized. The shock is very real, and can lead to severe depression, so do your best to stay positive, keep busy, and do some fun things to improve your spirits.

Based on my last bout with unemployment ten years ago, I don't see any tax implications affecting when to file or when to move your 401K. Unemployment compensation is taxable to the feds, but may not be taxable to the state, depending on your state's rules. In moving your 401K be sure to make it a trustee to trustee (or whatever the appropriate term is), and don't have anything paid directly to you. That will avoid any tax concerns.

Good luck!

Karl in CA

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.