No. of Recommendations: 0

I've scrolled back through all the previous messages regarding gifts and tax
consequences, so I feel pretty comfortable about those issues. My question is the
more practical one of how does one literally go about having stock transferred via
gift from father to son. Does the father have to get the physical certificates and
actually hand them over or deed them over? Can it be done electronically? What
forms and other paperwork is needed to memorialize the transfer? Thanks

If you have the stock call the co or go to web site and find out who the transfer agent is. Contack agent and get their transfer form and instructions. Send to agent and they will send son stock.

OR have son open a brokerage account and have your broker transfer stock. This should be the best way to do it. You could also send your stock and transfer form to son's broker and they will make the transfer.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.