Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
I've tried really hard to understand the negative feelings I have whenever I chance to see two men kissing. I'm positive it isn't about my huge religious background. I suppose it comes from the fact that I'm a heterosexual and that I subconsciously place myself as one of the participants. I know men that I love, but it couldn't be like that for me.

As long as we're confessing stuff, I'll throw in one of my own. I have a feeling this may offend some folks, but please know this isn't my intention. I do have a point to make.

I have negative feelings (disgust, revulsion, whatever) upon seeing many types of kissing scenarios. I don't think it is a religious thing because most of them have nothing to do with the teachings of any church.

Some examples: elderly people kissing, same-sex people kising, and really ugly people kissing. OTOH an adulterous kiss (ie. in a movie) doesn't necessarily repulse me. Please note that this is just a gut reaction, not moral outrage. I understand that it is incredibly shallow and that is why I hesitated to post this.

Now to the point. I think my disgust is related to being programmed by the mass media on what a kiss should look like. It should involve a beautiful, size-2 woman and a hunky 6'1" man. Both must either be young or appear young due to surgery and/or camera tricks. Anything else is for humor or novelty. You know the Jack Nicholson/Diane Keaton movie? My friend went to see it, and her response was "eeeeeew!" How shallow. Of course older people can and should be romantic. However, a gut reaction is a hard thing to conrol, especially when you've been bombarded with Hollywood's version of romance your whole life.

Just my take on things.

Andrea
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.