Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I've yet to fill out the form because I keep all my donated items under the $500 mark. If you periodically give your items away to various charities and libraries through the year it would save some documentation. Works for me !

Spreading your non-cash contributions throughout the year and over a number of charities won't help at all. The instructions for Schedule A, Line 16 state that you have to complete Form 8283 if the total of your non-cash contributions exceeds $500, not the amount of a single item or those given at one time or to one charity.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.