No. of Recommendations: 1
Jack,

The more I poke around, the more I agree with your earlier comment that Sara Lee is a better stock than a bond. Below is a snippet from a Barron's article. I didn't attempt to grind though their Q3 numbers. I just grabbed what seems to be the story:

"We are making great progress toward the creation of two solid, stand-alone companies," said Sara Lee Executive Chairman, Jan Bennink. "We are focused on preparing both the Coffee company and the Meat company for strong and vibrant futures. Looking ahead, in North America we are pleased to announce that we signed an agreement to acquire Aidells Sausage Company. Aidells premium, high-potential products will enhance our North American meat portfolio. Also within North America, we will be evaluating our strategic options regarding the North American refrigerated dough business. Within the Coffee business, we are working on the strategic role and options relating to our International Bakery segment. These initial steps are part of the preparatory phase which will give each company the best platform for a strong and independent future."

In reviewing third quarter results, Chief Executive Officer Marcel Smits commented, "On the operational side, our strategy is to cover commodity inflation through price increases and cost savings, and meanwhile continue to build our brands with superior marketing and innovation. We remain committed to this approach despite some short-term volume risk. Mainly due to this volume risk in our core businesses, as well as intense competition in our International Bakery segment, we are reducing our guidance by six cents. That said, we are optimistic about the long term prospects of our businesses. In North America, for the first time in four quarters, we were able to offset commodity costs increases through pricing actions and productivity gains. In International Beverage, we are still lagging the rapid increases in commodity cost, but we saw price increases accelerate as the third quarter progressed. In total, on a year-to-date basis, MAP spending is significantly higher, SG&A costs are significantly lower and we are confident in our ability to manage commodity cost inflation over time. In addition, as work on our spin-off progresses, we expect to gain further visibility on additional cost reduction opportunities."

http://online.barrons.com/article/PR-CO-20110505-906130.html...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.