No. of Recommendations: 1
JAFO,

In my experience, people who take standard terminology a conflate it or otherwise alter are often seeking to obfuscate, in a verbal "sleight of hand", to convince you to part with your money.

If you've already forgotten the declared purpose of The Motley Fool, it is right up top your browser; 'To Educate, Amuse & Enrich.'

I teach concepts (you apparently have a hard time with... not a hard time understanding, I think... but a hard time accepting.) When I shake up your comfortable way of thinking with "non-standardized" language, this seems to really cause distress.

By you definition, everyone's whole life is financed.

Indeed, for financial intelligence purposes, this is an excellent concept to understand. I am glad you can see it as well.

When somebody strts using words in non-standard ways, I immediately reach to guard my wallet and start looking to locate the exits, because more likely than not what will follow is a pitch for soething I probably do not need at a price that is likely above any reasonable fair market value.

You're missing out, then, on intellectual opportunities. When I point out that how you manage your money should consider all of its costs, running away in fear of someone picking your wallet is hardly rational.

Pointing out that all major purchases are financed, regardless from a 3rd party or self-financed, is hardly an incredibly new message. I certainly didn't originate it... and I remember hearing it when I was just a kid beginning to learn about money myself.

In the upthread post, I wrote so the readers discover that losing $51,000 a year to 'save' perhaps $25-30,000 is not in their financial nor risk-management best interest. Yet this 'scares you' somehow?

Cheers,
Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.