No. of Recommendations: 1
jamiegumm: "Hey all. I just finished reading the Gardners' new book, quite a revelation for a neophyte like me. But, by all means, pick it up sometime. What I admire in their writing is that it's not ideological and dry, like most finance books. But, of course, a few questions emerged for this rather dim bulb. Oh, by the way, did anyone win a hat by finding a typo in there? I thought maybe spelling Treasuries was a misprint somewhere but I forget where? Isn't the proper spelling in finance gibberish Treasurys? I m thinking there must be some Easter egg in there."

Welcome. I have not read the book.

"But, from p. 211, "You can't sell stocks in your 401(k) to buy bonds in your Roth IRA or that might be considered a distribution." Can someone elaborate on what they mean exactly? I thought that, barring any wash rule violation, you re free to trade in retirement accounts with impunity?"

Sounds like gibberish to me; or some major ontext is missing. You are mostly correct as to your understanding. There are some federal limits with respective to permitted investments.

"Also, perhaps a dumber question, what is the math formula for figuring percentage variation they site a few times. (I ll append their example with Buffalo Wild Wings.)

52-week high 44.19
52-week low 18.25

variation 58.7%"

I mean how do you come up with that percentage? Yes my mom was a math teacher but my siblings were all the bright stars.

(High Value - Low Value)/High Value

(44.19 - 18.25)/44.19 = 25.94/44.19 = 58.7%

Math formula explanation only without comment as to whether that number means much of anything.

Why not use (High Value - Low Value)/Low Value, and calculate 142.1%?

'By the way, is TD Ameritrade OK for a non-active trader or is that geared more toward active ones?"

I have no idea. Seems like it would be ok.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.