Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Jason: You imply a very interesting question.

How does a King become a Gorilla??

If I read the book correctly, he can't get there from here. They are mutually exclusive. The Gorilla has proprietary control of the standard, the King does not.

I read the same article by Phil Weiss - TMF Grape - and I couldn't believe Geoffrey Moore would have said that. I include the link here for anyone who hasn't read it and may still want to. "www.fool.com/porfolios/rulemaker/2000/rulemaker000105.htm"

JDS Uniphase may become a very strong King, if they continue to refine their end-to-end solution and continue to buy all their competitors. However, I don't think they can buy Lucent or Cienna.

The easiest way for a company to gain proprietary control of a standard is with a discontinuous innovation technology.

Please pardon me, Bruce, but we have all heard the story about the guy who invents a better mouse trap and the world beats a path to his door. Guess what you just experienced, a discontinuous innovation technology - or a better way to do something. Now he can excercise proprietary control over the design of his mousetrap. May have a Gorilla here.

On the other hand; the guy who invented the Linix operating system and then gave it to the world, can't now retract that action and exercise any control over his "better way". At best, only a King can happen here.

/s/
Harold
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.