Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yesterday I posted that I (thought I) had read in PC COMPUTING that IOM was selling JAZ 2 disks at 3-for-$149. I couldn't be sure, because I didn't have the magazine in front of me. Well, I do now.

In the April 1998 issue, they compare the JAZ 2 to the SyQuest SyJet 1.5. Some quotes:

"More important,the new 2GB disks designed for the (JAZ 2)drive cost $149 for a three-pack, making the media less expensive per megabyte than any removable Winchester-based technology we've seen yet."

"...the JAZ 2GB also left the SyQuest SyJet 1.5 behind in our benchmarks."

"Installing the JAZ 2GB is a breeze, and the cartridge spins up faster and is ready to use sooner than the SyJet's."

"... the JAZ 2GB provides plenty of storage and is the new size and speed king of removable media."

The article goes on to give the JAZ 2 a five-out-of-five star rating.

In related news, today the "Fast Forward" section of the Washington Post ( a monthly computing insert) published a letter to the section editor blasting them for recommending ZIP drives for backup, while touting SyQuest as a faster,cheaper, and supposedly more intelligent choice.

The Post's reply:

"True,several of SyQuests drives outrank Iomega's ZIP and JAZ drives in terms of dollars per megabyte. However,..,we feel the ready avaialability of ZIP drives on other people's computers is hard to ignore-just take your backup disk over to a friend's house. Also, SyQuest's installation procedures have never been the friendliest on its Windows products."

My point-whatever problems IOM has had, these are still quality products from a quality company. That is what you are buying when you buy IOM stock. Forget the analysts, and listen to the people who, like me, actually USE the products. And if you use the product, tell 2 friends, so they'll tell 2 friends, and so on...

ZIP WILL BE THE FLOPPY REPLACEMENT.

JAZ 2 IS THE PREMIERE PRODUCT OF ITS TYPE.

CLIK! IS GONNA KICK SOME SERIOUS BUTT.

Still long,

WHACKAMOLE
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.