Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just started a DRIP with JCI.

Noticed that the last post indicated that they thought JCI has seen its run up (and will not go further?)

I bought this for a long term project. DRIPing $50 a month.

Anybody think that the price is too high?

I thought that this was a long term, buy and hold type, good DRIP type stock. As in Cyclical stock where I would be buying up and down prices.

Comments?

TMKSarah
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Just started a DRIP with JCI.

Noticed that the last post indicated that they thought JCI has seen its run up (and will not go further?)

I bought this for a long term project. DRIPing $50 a month.

Anybody think that the price is too high?

I thought that this was a long term, buy and hold type, good DRIP type stock. As in Cyclical stock where I would be buying up and down prices.

Comments?"

I have been dripping with JCI for a number of years now and it is one of my strongest performers. The previous poster that you mentioned was probably not a dripper, but someone using online brokerages, a live broker, or something like a BuyandHold. Most people fit in that mold since dripping is not a well-known or well-understood investment tool.

Over the years, JCI usually has a weak fall in that its share price drops noticeably during the last three months of the year. It usually has a strong spring and summer. This quarter, JCI bucked the trend. The company is bouncing fairly close to a stock split price...at least it has done so in previous years.

The company has also been actively buying smaller companies and improving its global positioning. Is the price currently too high? My best guess is that it is not. This spring will tell. If JCI can maintain its 80s range prices...and build upon that...

As of late, JCI has not been acting like a cyclical stock...more of a smaller conglomerate stock like GE. One thing I think I can say safely...this is a fantastic long-term holding for any portfolio. I have at least a twenty-five year window with this stock...mayhaps longer if God blesses me with good health.

I hope this has proven helpful to you.

For the record, JCI makes up 9.15% of my 14 member stock portfolio.

dd
dd,

Thank you for your input. Needed to hear some validation from others. I think that this is a good long term hold, definitely.

That is what I am shooting for-a twenty year horizon in a "none sexy stock" I appreciate the heads up on the diversification that you informed me about. I tend to go with DRIPS that have more that one pot so to speak.

I, when I decided to go with this stock made my decision based on the company stars given it for continuing dividend upgrade, a wide group of customers it supplies and well known ones at that, the fact that it deals in energy saving measures for large customer complexes (which I see at being more of a concern in the future) and car parts. Cars are not going anywhere (all pun intended). I also noticed that it did not tank during the Sept 11 crisis, before during the tech wreck, nor now, when consumer spending seems to be tapering downward but has proven a steady, reliable stock.

That is what I want. Steady and reliable.

TMKSarah
No. of Recommendations: 1
TMKSarah

I have been dripping JCI since 1997 and am pleased with it. I am holding long term and runups or downturns do not bother me. I am in For long time. Enjoy the fun.

Have a good day
Walter
TMKSarah,
You wrote, "I also noticed that it did not tank during the Sept 11 crisis, before during the tech wreck, nor now, when consumer spending seems to be tapering downward but has proven a steady, reliable stock."

Yes, you are so right, but what makes that so amazing is that the stock generally does spiral downwards during the fall. Not only did the stock not perform that way this fall, but it also bucked a trend most--not all--stocks were taking. I found that quite interesting. I am very interested in seeing what JCI does during the first quarter of 2002.

dd