Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
jck: "The real question is, what will you do change it?"

That is an important question. The more complicated questions involve the combined risks of climate change and the risks of doing nothing, or of doing too much, or too little or the wrong types of solutions.

But if there are real systemic risks, it will be impossible to fix them by the volunary actions of a few people.

Let's look at an example by analogy. I really didn't think that Iraq posed a serious WMD threat and I repeatedly tried to point to the more than 200 inspections in 2002-3 that seemed to prove that there was no real threa. I seriously doubted the claim that they would 'greet us with flowers' after an invasion that would 'end quickly' and cost '$50 billion at the most'.

I would love to have invited the supporters of the invasion to voluntarily put together an army of gun wielding warmongers to invade Iraq and allow me to designate my tax dollars to address important domesstic issues. But at some point we had to collectively make a decision as a nation and I got outvoted.

I personally have stopped eating factory farmed beef, pork and poultry - more for ethical reasons than climate change concerns, but the food I eat may also be producible with less waste of government subsidized grain produced with excessive use of fossil fuels, thereby having a miniscule effect on the overuse of fossil fuels and on climate change.

Also by way of analogy, Philip Morris understood the risks of smoking 60 years ago but they were able to profit for decades from a massive disinformation program that duped a lot of voters who in turn were used as tools to block the legislative process.

The fossil fuel industry and the Koch brothers have generally understood the risks from climate change but they are continuing to profit from a massive disinformation program that dupes a lot of voters who then vote to stymie the political process - a few of whom post regularly on this board.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.