Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
JeanDavid,

Thanks for the reply. Its been something I've been pondering a lot as I approach retirement.

I've played around with various back tests at Portfolio Visualizer but often the tests only go back to 1972 (at best) and the results I feel are skewed due to the last decade of low interest rates. In my case, while more is always better I'd be thrilled with inflation +4%, happy with inflation+3%, satisfied with inflation+2% and concerned with inflation+1% for my returns in retirement.

(Note I'm not saying Portfolio Visualizer is the greatest tool but it is simple.)

A portfolio of:
60% Intermediate Treasuries (also tried 20/20/20 short/intermed/long but was basically the same results)
10% US Small Cap
15% US Stock Market
15% Global Ex-US

From 1986 gives me 7.92% CAGR or 5.22% after inflation (rebalanced annually). Max drawdown ~16%.
PV only has data for the Global Ex-US Stocks index to 1986.

Replacing Global with a larger US Stock Market allotment gives results back to 1972.
(i.e., same allotment as above except 30% in the US stock market)
CAGR 8.9 (inflation adj 4.79%).

Personally I don't think it is wise to have all US stocks. Also I think the returns are juiced by the very low interest rates over the last decade so I don't expect the returns to be that high in the future (although I guess most backtested portfolios don't do as well in the future).

And sure a portfolio like the Golden Butterfly does well in the back tests.
20% US stocks
20% US small cap value
20% Gold
20% short term treasuries
20% long term treasuries

9.89 CAGR 6.21 after inflation from 1978. Max draw down around 17%.

My issues there are the fact it is only US stocks and that I don't believe you can replicate the returns the tool uses for gold with a gold ETF (at least in my limited and quick comparison). And 20% in gold is very high.

Real estate (not ETFs but real property) has me concerned because it requires substantial investment, there are overhead costs, etc. Currently I do have a rental property in AZ but that was for unusual reasons - I moved during the big drop in AZ real estate, I could afford to keep it and was "sure" it was significantly under priced compared to other AZ real estate and I was able to easily rent it out. In that case my views were confirmed via nearly 100% occupation rate and the house and risen nearly 70% in value (maybe too high again).

I know Ray has recommended something like Vanguard Moderate Growth fund with its 60/40 stocks/bonds and 60/40 US/international split and that certainly is the easiest approach.

A max draw down of around 20% is usually pretty easy to handle, its the 40-50% ones that cause you to ponder if this time is different and do something stupid.

Anyhow, thanks for responding and reading
Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.