Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Jedi-

I responded over at Political Asylum but would rather have the discussion over here, as it's easier to follow along.

How can you say that this is a waste of ou tax dollars? Hopefully, a new Palestinian leader will do a much better job in stopping the violence and negotiating with the Israelis. Yasser Arafat has done nothing at all during the past eight months to stop the violence nor has he effectively persuaded young children to stay out of the line of fire.

Sharon is in a tough situation right now. On one side, he's being pressured by the US and the rest of the world to keep to his cease-fire and wait for Arafat to declare one as well (I don't know what Arafat is waiting for). On the other side, he hears the cries of his people who are calling for better defense measures and retaliatory attacks against those who have struck Israel in the past week and a half. He loses either way, but as the leader of his people, he must make decisions that are best for THEM as opposed to the citizens of the rest of the world. If he went against his people (who elected him to provide security for them and their families) that would be a sad sad thing.

I haven't heard any confirmation from Sharon or anyone else from his Cabinet for that matter regarding this 48-hour operation, but it sounds like a good idea to me. This operation targets only the people responsible for not doing anything to stop the violence. That includes Yasser Arafat, the PA, Fatah, etc. and not Palestinian civillians. Hopefully, the PA won't encourage the Palestinian people that this is the ultimate Holy War and they must rise up and fight- that would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Instead, these people should prepare for a new leader with new policies designed to better the lives of his citizens and bring peace to the area.

Hopefully, Sharon will not let his people down.

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.