Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Jedi,

If you still had this portfolio almost 20 years later, despite some of the companies not being around and the GN BK notwithstanding, the MSFT probably made up for it. Apologies for taking 19+ years to inveigh.
Print the post Back To Top
Just seven stocks Jedi? Not much for spreading the wealth over stocks to help smooth it out some. Each to his own.

Agent
TJX - 246 shares@ $30.47 =$7,500.

AA - 250 shares@ $29.96 =$7,500.

GM - 112 SHARES@ $44.60 =$5,000.

CSCO 214 shares@ $14.00 =$3,000.

AOL 200 shares@ $30.00 =$6,000.

MSFT 100 shares@ $52,91 =$5300.

PER 329 shares@ $15.19 =$$5,000.
$39,300 invested PLUS $80 for fees.

$20,620 cash in money market acct@4%. We will save this for future buys. Besides...you cant go broke having money in the bank!

Best of luck to the Force portfolio, and I look forward to feedback. This it will be good? Think I am a moron? :) It will be fun.

USE THE FORCE!!! STAY STRONG USA!! JEDIKNIGHT

Preppie...

You are right about putting too many eggs in one basket, it could be more spread out, but it could be less also.

7 stocks into $39,000. We will have $21,000 left in cash, and we may always sell if needed.

We shall wait and see!

Jedi
7 stocks into $39,000. We will have $21,000 left in cash

That is better than what I thought you were going to do originally. I thought you were going to put all 60k in the 7 stocks. What you are doing makes a little more sense.

Agent
No. of Recommendations: 1
(AP) Wire...

Fidelity investments recently called Jediknight, and asked whether the Force Portfolio would take over their fund. Jedi responded in the negative.

Then Jedi woke up. :)

SEE #983 FOR PORTFOLIO...

The Force Potfolio, is pleased to announce a SELL. We sold 214 shares of Cisco Systems@19.64

While its a great company, we do not fancy stocks with crazy multiples.

Could it sjyrocket again? Sure. Will we go broke taking a quick 40% return? HELL NO.

The rest of the portfolio is going along nicely. The best things is, very little of our portfolio includes CMBC-hype companies.

Jedi
ANOTHER SALE FOR THE FORCE PORTFOLIO.

Sell::: 200 AOL@38.25

I know its a great company, dominant on the internet and all that great stuff, but at a PE of 89, we will take our 27% return, and wait in the weeds for something else.

The Force Portfolio has had a great start up. ALL investments are up. While CNBC hypes this "rally" we are in, we think that things have gotten a tad pricey too quick. Our holdings are great, and we have plenty of cash to shop with.

GE, DIS look good...lets be patient.

Jedi
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I know its a great company, dominant on the internet and all that great stuff, but at a PE of 89, we will take our 27% return, and wait in the weeds for something else.>>

I must admit that I am a little disappointed in you, JEDI. Why chase short-term gains when you are fully aware of the fact that long-term gains are much more sizable? The only reason that AOL's current PE is 89 is because AOL has to take such a sizable amortization charge for the massive amount of goodwill that it has on its balance sheet from the Time Warner acquisition. Due to the fact that the amortization charge is a non-cash charge, FASB has changed its rules (beginning in 2002) so that the amortization charge will no longer be subtracted from net income. With that in mind, analysts expect AOL to earn $1.38/share in 2002, placing the company's forward PE ratio at 27.72 (anything but outrageous, IMHO). With the company expected to boost its EPS by 25% annually for the next 5 years, AOL is a core holding in my portfolio.

God bless and Go Long,
Spriteman

PS - http://www.salomonsmithbarney.com/greatamerican/index2.html
Spriteman...

Miss you on PA. *hint*

Anyway, no argument that AOL is a great company. Unlike most interne companies, they actually make a profit and have a business model. They can increase net profit by 50 million a month, just by raising rates by a few bucks.

2 things:

*No matter what analysis, what numbers crunch, TODAY the PE is 89. Yes, it will chance on day, and that will be fine. At this point, after last year, Im scared of expensive stocks, that need to grow at Superman rates to meet excpectations.

*Profit is profit. 27% is good money in a few months. Im tired of hypemasters on CNBC saying "its just a paper loss". Hey...cant pay bills with "paper losses". Selling stock is based on individual needs. For someone parking cash for 10 years, its not a big deal. For someone, who can use 27% for a down payment on a car, a trip for the family, or just get the money and look at it.

Sprite, I TOTALLY agree on long term holding, but once in awhile, I deviate. Last year, I could have sold GTW, LU, and NSM for short term 20% gains. Now, if the stocks go up 300%, i would not break even.

Summary: For me, taking a profit will never be a bad thing.

Sprite...come see us at PA, or we will come looking for you at KO.

Jedi
<<Sprite...come see us at PA, or we will come looking for you at KO.>>

You might not even find me on the KO board, JEDI! I am so swamped with school work right now that I simply don't have much time to "fool around". Don't you worry, though... I'll be back!

God bless and Go Long,
Spriteman
Jedi,

If you still had this portfolio almost 20 years later, despite some of the companies not being around and the GN BK notwithstanding, the MSFT probably made up for it. Apologies for taking 19+ years to inveigh.