Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Jeff,

Six years ago I went through the Warrant Officer Advanced Course and was briefed by officers from the Warrant Officer Division who were well-educated on the process for promotion that was in effect at the time. When they mentioned that the board results were reviewed and then sometimes readjusted many of us decried "racial quotas" and "reverse discrimination". The officers from WOD denied our assaults and stated "there are no racial or gender quotas" but they would not describe the process that was used. The process described in the story you linked to is correct to what, I have learned since, was teh process then.

Last summer I went through the Warrant Officer Staff Course (the next course in the process). In the six years that had gone by, the officers from WOD (different people all) were proud to announce that "no racial or gender adjustments are no longer made to the promotion list". I chuckled to myself and thought of the previous statements, given six years earlier. They were stating that they no longer did those things which they denied doing earlier.

I don't know any of the answers to this issue. I know that I wouldn't want to have been a female rated by one of the officers who I served under but neither would I want to be the lowest rated "best qualified" white male on the promotion list who's promotion might have been bumped because that female's name moved over the top of mine because of an adjustment. Neither one of them is being treated fairly.

Mike
*head-scratcher 06*
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.