No. of Recommendations: 12
I cross-posted the following on METAR, but it makes as much sense here:

Let me start with the fact that I am not an investment advisor, my portfolio morphs on a daily basis
and those who mindlessly copy this without doing their own due diligence are likely to find themself
wrestling a crocodile.

Every now and then I post my current portfolio for others to throw tomatoes at (or hopefully offer
useful constructive criticism). It's been a while because the structure it took while I was away (mid-
September - late December) was defensive and would not have been representative of my usual offensive 
stance.  I have recently started to record the latest acquisition date in a separate column (when I
remember) and you'll notice I've been on a bit of a buying spree (in some cases replacing shares I sold
and in some cases trying out some new ideas. 

Yes, I know there are lots of issues and there are those who have
suggested in the past that I would do better owning one or two mutual funds, but I find choosing
individual stocks allows me to more closely tailor the portfolio to my needs (and let's me play at
beating the market averages on a daily/yearly basis, besides mutual funds are boring :-).  I do 
admit to owning one ETF (VB, a Vanguard small business fund) which I figured was a quick short-term way to play a hunch.

Most of the specific shares are there for more than one reason.  There's a significant foreign currency
component to the portfolio with about 14% each in Australian dollars and Swiss francs.  This serves a 
dual purpose of being a hedge on the US dollar as well as a natural resource play in the case of the 
Australian shares and a consumer consumable/infrastructure play in the case of the Swiss shares.  
Both generate a reasonable level of income (in terms of foreign currency).

There's another 11% (which is likely to morph higher) which is exclusively devoted to ideas generated on
Saul's board on TMF which generally involve volatile high-growth potentially speculative issues.  These
get traded fairly frequently (as an example, I have recently re-purchased NTNX and within the last
couple of weeks, sold MDB and re-bought it yesterday at a significant discount, notching a 10% gain 
since then.  

There's another 9-10% split between Japanese and Chinese shares, split between technology/robotics and 
consumer goods companies.

Another 7% is invested in a high dividend major oil stock (Royal Dutch Shell) as another natural 
resource play as well as a source of income.  An equal amount has just been tossed on Berkshire Hathaway 
to replace some sold last year to give a bit of inertia to the portfolio.  The rest is invested in a 
handful of technology and consumer companies (you can read the list below).

There are summaries below the individual stock lines of how each sector is performing as well as the 
portfolio as a whole.  Interestingly, the profitability of the AUD and CHF investments differs in terms
of their currencies and in terms of USD - which sort of demonstrates the importance of thinking of your
investments from a multi-currency standpoint.

So, what do my goat entrails predict?  I think the trade issue with China will be settled, at least 
temporarily seeming to favor the US.  China has other monetary structural issues which were exacerbated 
by the recent US tariff thing which will have to be accomodated, but I suspect they are still on-track
to become an accepted trade/reserve currency within five years, which will go a long way towards giving
them a license to print money (the way the US has been for decades) and solve whatever issues are still 
causing them grief.  The political scenario in the US may become choppy enough to cause another 
significant downdraft with little or no notice if things unravel quickly.  The EU has too many members 
to create a consensus on many issues and the situation is getting more dangerous as multiple governments
simultaneously veer towards nationalism and the right.  Brexit has few upside advantages for the UK and 
a significant number of downside risks. I have to reexamine defence contractors in light of the recent 
announcements which may mean extremely high defense expenditures over the next decade (likely with few 
significant benefits to show for the expense, but no reason to avoid making a buck based on other's 
silliness).

Anyway, last year was a profitable one for the portfolio and hopefully this will be one as well.  I
don't have any travels nailed down yet, but I expect that won't last.  Next time I go away, I expect
you guys/gals to be better stewards of the stock market than you were last fall :-)

Have fun picking this apart.

Jeff

Symbol                     Company         Last Buy Date Div Yield % P/L   Domicile % of Portfolio
         BHP.AX            BHP Group Fpo                             4.29%   18.28% Australia   5.51%
         NAB.AX            Nat. Bank Fpo                             7.96% (25.48%) Australia   0.02%
         NCM.AX            Newcrest Fpo                              0.76%  136.34% Australia   0.18%
         RIO.AX            Rio Tinto Fpo                             6.40%   14.48% Australia   7.96%
         APT.AX            Afterpay T Fpo             1/17/19               (1.75%) Australia

ABBN.VX           Abb Ltd N                                 4.05% (12.00%) Switzerla   0.87%
         ADEN.VX           Adecco N                                  4.93% (10.82%) Switzerla   0.02%
         NESN.VX           Nestle N                   6/7/18         2.78%   20.07% Switzerla  12.75%

BRK              Berkshire Hathaway Inc.    1/15/2019               3.05%             6.59%
           VB              Vanguard Small Index Fd    1/02/2019      1.69%   10.40%             3.12%
          AMZN             Amazon.Com, Inc.           12/31/18               11.80%             3.65%
           BHC             Bausch Health Companies Inc1/17/19                 3.22%             0.50%
           CCL             Carnival Corporation       1/17/19        3.79%    4.06%             1.18%
           RCL             Royal Caribbean Cruise Line1/17/19        2.64%    3.13%             1.18%
           DHR             Danaher Corporation                       0.60%   61.12%             1.36%
           FTV             Fortive Corporation                       0.38%   18.25%             0.94%
           IBM             International Business Mach7/30/18        5.07%  (4.50%)             5.39%
          GOOG             Alphabet Inc.                                     17.25%            11.80%
          MSFT             Microsoft Corporation                     1.74%    2.56%             5.79%
           SJM             J.M. Smucker Company (The) New            2.98%  389.22%             0.05%

AYX             Alteryx, Inc. Class A      4/13/18               122.32%             2.37%
          TWLO             Twilio Inc. Class A        4/13/18               111.89%             2.04%
           ZS              Zscaler, Inc.                                     23.64%             0.97%
          OKTA             Okta, Inc.                 12/14/18       0.77%   16.55%             1.34%
           TTD             The Trade Desk, Inc.       12/14/18                0.72%             1.19%
          ESTC             Elastic N.V. Ordinary      12/14/18              (1.66%)             0.73%
           MDB             Mongodb, Inc.              1/17/19                10.04%             1.38%
          NTNX             Nutanix, Inc.              1/17/19                 5.80%             1.12%

RDS-A            Royal Dutch Shell Plc Royal Dut           6.16%   11.21% England     6.89%
                                                                                                0.00%
          SAFRY            Safran                                    2.95%   23.37% France      1.34%
          SBGSY            Schneider Electric                        3.58%    9.13% France      0.32%
           SNY             Sanofi Adr                                4.48%  (0.41%) France      1.78%

FANUY            Fanuc Corp                                       (0.32%) Japan       0.80%
          FYRTY            Familymart Uny Hld                               222.67% Japan       0.37%
          OMRNY            Omron Corp                                2.72%   49.20% Japan       1.71%
          SFTBY            Softbank Group Co                                  4.45% Japan       1.17%
          SVNDY            Seven & I Holdings                        2.96%   19.37% Japan       0.79%
          JMHLY            Jardine Matheson                          3.59%   23.49% Hong Kong   1.44%
          BABA             Alibaba Group Holding Limited A                 (20.82%) China       0.67%
           IQ              Iqiyi, Inc.                1/8/19                  0.49% China       0.60%
          TCEHY            Tencent Hldgs Ltd                         0.74%    3.97% China       1.87%
                                                                                               99.75%

EQUITY GROUPING       % of Portfolio             Profit in USD Profit in Foreign Currency
AUSTRALIAN STOCKS:         13.67%                     14.01%        10.45%
SWISS STOCKS:              13.65%                     14.73%        17.28%
MISC. US STOCKS:           41.53%                     8.64%
US HIGH GROWTH STOCKS:     11.14%                     35.83%
OIL STOCKS:                6.89%                      10.14%
MISC. EUROPEAN STOCKS:     3.45%                      8.63%
JAPANESE STOCKS:           4.84%                      25.84%
CHINESE STOCKS:            4.58%                      3.86%

SUMMARY BY CURRENCY:
In US Dollars:             BLENDED PROFIT
P/L AUD                    14.01%
P/L CHF                    14.73%
P/L USD                    11.56%

TOTAL P/L
Blended Dividend Yield     2.27% of total portfolio
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.