No. of Recommendations: 13
jeffbas,

As you've been affiliated with the Fool since October of last year, I'm sure you've seen that these message boards are unlike most of those anywhere else on the Internet. One of the tenets of the Fool is that it is "investors writing for investors." Not just the staff writers, but you and me too who post our thoughts about stocks here.

I think The Motley Fool in general, and Hidden Gems in particular, would be much less of a valuable service if all they did was write "Buy FARO, go do your own due diligence!" "Buy HOFT, look up the reasons why yourself." Rather, they take the time to explain why they feel their investments picks are winners. And many times, us lesser Fools question their decisions. The debate over on the REDE board is a good example, as is the discussion occuring now on FDP.

Thus, when lekker pointed out some areas that he saw problems with with XICO, it was not an attack on you but asking for more of your reasoning. Your initial response was insulting while your last post, with point No. 2, was more of the type of response that's preferred: it gave some good reasons why XICO might be a candidate for consideration.

If you're going to post to the boards, you might not necessarily be looking for feedback, but you're bound to get some. It only serves to lower the level of discourse here if we get defensive. I look at people critiquing my analyses as an opportunity to revisit my reasons for liking a stock. Someone may have seen something I missed. I believe that is the spirit in which lekker was offering his critique of XICO.

I'd like to hear more about why you like this company so much. I enjoy when Fools are able to pluck a gem from beneath the very noses of analysts and I'm always on the lookout for an investment idea as well.

Good luck in your investments!

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.