Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Jenn,

You raise an interesting question that is worth checking out, but you have a couple of assumptions that I'm not sure are valid. One assumption is your contrast between what you call a buy and hold strategy and the 529 plan, which you imply is not a buy and hold strategy. Another assumption is that the 529 plan will be entirely fickle, subject to the whims of state officials (this reminds me of the concerns many felt about Roth IRAs when they first came out).

Yes, the administrator can change the fund family for new investors, but would the original money you invested be turned over to the new fund? Also, why would they change fund families if the original family was doing its job well, as, for instance, Alliance Capital has done for many years? If they did make a change that you felt was for the worse, you can always put new money into another plan or adopt a new strategy (in my case, putting more money into the custodial fund I set up seven years ago for my son). Your assumption of onerous surrender fees may not be correct either.

But thanks for raising these issues. I'll be sure to ask about them before I apply for the plan.

Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.