Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have additional money that I could invest, but thought it might be best to do it within my Roth IRA. Perhaps a taxable brokerage account should be my goal.

Tax-deferred accounts are almost always(there are exceptions) the best place to put money into for retirement investing. The growth, tax-free, over the years can make a big difference.

If you have maxed out all the legal contibutions to tax-free accounts, by all means, invest any remaining available cash into a taxable account. The nice thing about this is no limit on contributions. Of course, you need to understand the tax implications of sales.

If you end up in a position to retire before you are 59 1/2, money in a taxable account can be used for expenses. Withdrawls from IRAs and 401Ks before 59 1/2 may be subject to a 10% early withdrawl penalty. There are, of course, exceptions to that.

Another thing to keep in mind as you go forward investing, view all accounts as one pot. If you decide you want a certain percentage in stocks, bonds, etc, use the total of all accounts to calculate your percentages, not just your Roth or 401K.

Print the post  


Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.