Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Jim:
... a desire not to be profiled myself. I don't have a smartphone, and don't have accounts with Facebook, Google, Instagram, Uber, or anything similar. I don't use Chrome. Even the dumb phone I carry is in someone else's name (by accident originally, but I decided to keep it that way). My iPad has almost no apps, and I don't use ICloud. Only about a dozen people have my "true" email address.

Good man --- with a bad past, but enlightenment might still be possible for you, as it was even for Angulimala:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/advanced/230472/the-sto...

From an interview with one of the best bug bounty hunters (Hackers finding security and other flaws in software):

He would never use Whatsapp
Once you start dealing with IT security, you often become more cautious in everyday life. Arrouas even says he's a bit paranoid. «Anyone who knows how vulnerable our IT systems are starts to worry.» At the beginning of his time as a pen tester, he saw what his colleagues could do on a public online service. "I was shocked." This experience has a concrete impact on everyday life. Arrouas doesn't use Twitter, encrypt the data on his hard drives, or use a password manager for complex passwords he can't remember himself. And he monitors his computer's network connections – like big companies do, for example, to detect attacks. He avoids so-called "smart" devices in everyday life. His car is not connected to the internet. He doesn't want a microphone on his TV remote control. And he would never use Whatsapp. "Basically, I try to keep my presence on the Internet as small as possible," says Arrouas. Not everything can be secured, but the risk can be reduced.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.