Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Jim,

As a fellow cyclist, I can "feel your pain".

For me, it was coming down a gentile hill and making a turn at the bottom when the bike slide out under me as I hit a patch of loose, wet leaves. Ripped holes in my left pant leg and the skin underneath. Ouch! Another time, I was coming out of a parking lot and crossing the street when I jumped the chain and went down fast, my head was slamming the ground hard. Saw stars for moment, but suffered no injury. (Thank goodness for helmets.)

As for your buying NEE-PN and me not buying it --or any other issue-- that's more than to be expected, because each of us worries about different things, because each of us comes to markets with different past experiences and different present expectations. An analogy would be fishing. There are dozens of ways to do it and what often matters isn't bringing lots of fish to net, but just being on the water and enjoying the time away from a computer screen.

My suggestion, though, would be this. No matter how risky an opportunity seems to be --or how promising-- it's proper position-sizing that's going to mean long-term survival, not "diversification", which is a crock, because when markets are under stress, correlations tend toward 1.0. Yeah, when a sketchy position works out, we all wish we had bought more. But when such positions fail, we're glad we didn't buy more than we did.

Linda Raschke --one of the world's top traders whom most have never heard of-- addresses this problem by making all of her bets the same size. That a tactic I've borrowed for my own investing. If it's a junk bond, I buy just two. I'll go five for 'enterprising' and ten for 'defensive'. I'm trying to do the same with my buying preferreds.

Arindam
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.