No. of Recommendations: 3
Jim,

Caution: More remblings!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I have seen the SA article from last year but either don't remember or didn't see the SA/Blackjack article. I read/reread them both.

I do have the luxury of continuing to add regular amounts of cash to both pre and post tax accounts. Several years ago I decided to buy an initial small and equal amount of every new SA rec and most of the RB rec (sometimes there are no new funds in the accounts). I have added regularly based on SN Phoenix 1 buys, posts from Tom E. and others, best buy now, etc. I have also greatly enjoyed your MUE and Jim Royal's now defunct real money port and found some good ideas there. This strategy has been quite successful, particularly for someone with little accounting expertise and not much time. But that has also led me to have a portfolio of more than 200 companies.

The good news is that the top 10 holdings (Apple, Nike, Costco, Starbux, Google, Chipotle, Disney, Whole Foods, ISRG, NFLX) account for 35% of portfolio value and the next 10 (MIDD, Bofi, SAM, KO, HAS, PNRA, JNJ, Priceline, Microsoft, Mercado Libre) account for the next 16%. I spend little time tracking these top 20 and trust TMF for guidance. The other almost 200 companies don't worry me much. Many of them are less the 0.1% and in the portfolio to keep them on the radar. Never the less there are still some candidates for cutting. The tough part is deciding when an investment thesis has collapsed (Western Union?), run its course (Rosetta Stone?) or was just plain wrong to start with (Westport? SODA?). Fortunately I did get out of all four of those but not without the usual amount of agonizing and some loss.

After sharing these thoughts out loud I have realize I am probably better off just letting the whole port roll or at the very least continuing to be extremely cautious about selling. I'm better off waiting and possibly taking some more losses rather than selling without being certain of the three principles noted above.

Thanks Jim for this portfolio and your steady presence on the boards,

D
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.